miércoles, 30 de noviembre de 2016
THE BEST SOMMELIER STUDENTS FROM INDIA AT "BODEGAS URBINA"
Every year a 10 day trip is organized to the vineyards of Italy, Spain and France, where IIHM undergraduate students from India are chosen to be flown to these vineyards to understand the winemaking process.
Across its 7 campuses, a series of tests and interviews for its third year specialization students help the management decide the winners, to be flown for this exercise. The all-expense paid, sponsored tour for the students was conceptualized as an incentive for them to gather knowledge of wines in the vineyards of Europe.
Bodegas Urbina is a small family-owned and run Rioja producer located in the Rioja Alta sub-region of Rioja, Spain. This Single Estate winery was founded in 1870 and is currently run by fourth generation winemaker Pedro Urbina Jr. The Urbina Estate comprises of some 75 hectares (182) of vineyards planted with 65 hectares of Tempranillo and 10 hectares composed of Graciano, Mazuelo and the white grape variety Viura. The vineyards are located at Cuzcurrita de Rio Tiron at the north western edge of the Rioja DOC and at Urunuela in the heart of the appellation. Cuzcurrita has some of the highest vineyards in the DOC, this means that it is a relatively cool climate growing area compared with other parts of Rioja. The wines from Cuzcurrita tend to have characteristics suitable for great ageing, whilst those from Urunuela produce consistent and fuller bodied wines.
INTERNATIONAL INSTITUTE OF HOTEL MANAGEMENT (IIHM)
IIHM founded in 1994, was the first collegiate program in the country offering discerning students the opportunity to be trained in globally recognised skills and earn an International Degree in Hospitality Management through its collaboration with The Edinburgh Napier University, UK and tie-up with University of West London, London.
Today the Institute is the largest Hotel School Chain that leads in the field of International Hospitality Management Education in India with campuses at Kolkata, Delhi, Pune, Bangalore, Jaipur, Ahmedabad, Hyderabad and state of the art, IIHM at KBU Bangkok in the capital city in Thailand.
Consequently, the students have the option and flexibility to study at UK in the Edinburgh Napier University, UK or the University of West London, London or at the IIHM at KBU campus in Bangkok at different stages during their education at IIHM campuses in India . Across the Atlantic, in United States, IIHM is tied up with the DeVry USA, Australia, Mauritius, Middle East and the South East Asian countries.
Similarly, in Canada, IIHM is developing partnership with the George Brown College and eventually this partnership will help students to study, work and make a living in Canada. Till date, more than 3000 students have launched their career in Europe, USA, Canada & South East Asia through these routes & are working in some of the most renowned and largest Hotel chains of the world.
The multicultural environment in the institute invites students from Thailand, Armenia, Singapore, South Korea, South Africa, Bangladesh and many other countries. Facilitating their learning and motivating the students at IIHM are a team of over 300 Indian & International tutors, mentors & professors who are all experts in the areas of their chosen disciplines. Learning takes place in state-of-the-art classrooms & in a real-time environment through the on campus IndiSmart Hotel alongside learning experiences through industrial placements in varied industry settings around the world.
KEITH EDGAR WINE GURU AT IIHM
“As vines are the foundation for great wine, knowledge is its foundation for enjoyment”
Keith Edgar is Wine and Beverage Professional, currently based in Kolkata and Denver, CO. Keith has vast international experience having worked in the wine and food industry in USA, Canada, Australia, Thailand and China for over three decades.
- Graduated of the George Brown College Sommelier program and a member of the Sommelier Guild of Canada.
- Certified Educator with the WSET, London, Certified to teach level 1-2. He is currently completing his Diploma with the Wine Spirit Education Trust after which he plans to pursue his Master of Wine.
- Responsible for the Wine and Beverage education program at IIHM schools across India and Thailand with about 4000 students.
- Keith is also a Wine Writer in both print and online periodicals such as The Telegraph India and thewineclub.in
- CEO and Brand Ambassador: Vinesse India. February 2015 – Present (1 year 10 months).
- Wine import company: Owner and Sommelier. Keith Edgar Wine Consultants Kolkata. January 2011 – Present (5 years 11 months).
- General Manager: Mandarin LLC. January 2003 – January 2011 (8 years 1 month). Sommelier and Owner. Keith Edgar Wine and Food Consultants. 1998 – 2002 (4 years)Vancouver, Canada Area.
- Wine and Restaurant Consultant, Sommelier: Restaurant concept creation, Wine and Food Promotions. Assist companies with new business development in China.
- Sommelier and Beverage Coordinator: Hilton Hotels China. 1995 – 1998 (3 years).
- Society of wine educators: Certifed specialist of wine , Wine 2016 – 2016
- George Brown College: sommelier, Wine Steward/Sommelier 1993 – 1994
- Camosun College: Hotel Restaurant Admin, Hotel/Motel Administration/Management 1982 – 1985
- Wine & Spirit Education Trust: Level 3 Wine and Spirits, Wine
Wine, Hotels, Teaching, Account Management, Event Management, Sales, Marketing, Wine Tasting, Restaurants, Time Management, Marketing Strategy, Food, Event Planning, Management, Hospitality Management, Hotel Management, Hospitality Industry, Food & Beverage, Restaurant Management, Customer Service, Microsoft Office, etc.
LIAM STEEVENSON (MW) MENTOR AT IIHM
The Master of Wine Liam Steevenson, is a driven, financially focussed individual with a passion for wine, the people that make it and the places that influence quality and style. He has built a strong working relationships within the global wine industry, forged through eighteen years of working with the UK’s leading wine merchants. An excellent communicator, both written and verbal. He has always tried to push the boundaries of the wine industry, helped by an ability to see the wider picture without missing the importance of fine detail. Working within the constraints of a large corporate company (Waitrose / Bibendum) and also having been able to exercise entrepreneurial skills whilst running by his own company (Red&White) has installed in hinsfelf a very balanced understanding of commercial needs and business success.
- Managing Director: Red & White Wines Ltd. January 2005 – Present (11 years 11 months)
Created in 2005 RED&WHITE was shortlisted for the O2 Small Business of the Year Awards 2009, and voted the IWC, Regional Wine Merchant 2011. Originally an on-trade supplier of quality wines to many of the South West’s leading Hotels & Restaurants, it diversified to open two successful retail outlets and a WSET approved Wine School in Bristol. It was the chosen supplier for the Business Class Airline Silverjet. In 2010 we launched a series of Wine and Music Festivals ‘Winestock’ that over the last 12 months have entertained and informed customers in Devon, Cornwall, San Francisco and Antigua. Red&White had a peak annual turnover of £2.4 Million per annum.
- Wine Buyer: Waitrose. October 2013 – January 2015 (1 year 4 months).
Responsible for the largest categories within the Waitrose buying remit, Australia, New Zealand, Burgundy and South France. The position entails New Product Development, Supplier Negotiation, Promotional Planning, Category Growth, Press/Journalist Interaction, Wine Specialist Training. Working within a small team of eight, I work with a talented team of buyers, including four other Masters of Wine, to create what we believe to be the leading quality wine range in UK retail.
- On Trade Sales Manager: John Armit Wines. 2003 – 2005 (2 years)London, United Kingdom
- Retail Manager (Agency Sales Manager): Bibendum Wine Ltd. January 1999 – January 2003 (4 years 1 month)London, United Kingdom
- Kelly College
- Roehampton University: BA, History
Brand Management, FMCG, Food Management, Wine Tasting, Wine, Winemaking, Event Management, Sales Management, Marketing Strategy, Merchandising, Sales, Account Management, Retail, Negotiation, New Business Development, FoodFood & Beverage, Business Development, Fast-Moving Consumer Goods (FMCG), etc.
KUNAL KAUL (WSET) CERTIFIED FOOD AND BEVERAGE EDUCATOR AT IIHM
Result-oriented Food & Beverage professional & trainer with demonstrated track record of successful leadership, problem-solving abilities and excellent interpersonal skills. Seeks constant challenges and opportunities to hone skill-set in the F& B training arena. Accomplished Learning & Development individual with hands-on methodologies & implementation techniques employing global standards in Food & Beverages. Exceptionally skilled at developing pre-opening as well as re-launch teams, apart from entrepreneurial experience. Expertise in hotel and restaurant software systems, budgetary controls, Health & Safety legislation and licensing laws. Serious Wine Aficionado at W-Set Level-3
Head of Department - Food and Beverage, IIHM Delhi and IIHM Jaipur
December 2015 – Present (1 year)New Delhi Area, India
- To design and work on a retention based model.To focus on a two way teaching process where the students involve themselves in teaching and learning.
- Making teachers facilitators. Bench marking education delivery in hospitality.
- Taking care of the Training Module for the two campuses.
- Conducting WSET Level 1 & 2 Pan India for the group.
- Facilitating Hotel staff Wine & Beverage Training sessions.
Head of Department(Academics, Training & Learning Development) - Food and Beverage - IIHM Delhi
August 2013 – Present (3 years 4 months)New Delhi Area, India
- Team Leader,Learning & Development Mentor, representing institute in Brand building through Institutional Presentations and participating in Education fairs, Career Fairs mostly in Northern Region.
- Carrying out a range of Learning and Development duties.
. Managing Curriculum growth and innovation.
. Producing comprehensive schemes of work and other programme documentation.
. Effective day to day management of students and the department in accordance with the College's objectives.
. To support and advise team members in effective delivery of the curriculum.
. Complying with administrative procedures for the effective collection and interpretation of College management information.
. Team Meetings, professional development, events, discussions and any other activities commensurate with the duties and responsibilities of this post.
Lecturer(In Country Delivery- IIHM, Delhi)
Edinburgh Napier University
August 2013 – Present (3 years 4 months)
- Facilitate undergraduate scholars pursuing "BA Hospitality Management" from Edinburgh Napier University,UK for different Modules as Module Leader/Lecturer.
Restaurant and Bars Manager
ACSA, American Embassy
December 2010 – August 2013 (2 years 9 months)New Delhi Area, India
- Managing various Food & Beverage outlets inside the premises to ensure efficient running.Responsible for 40 employees in the department.
- Investigate and attend to guest complaints.
- Managing service personnel, and their training needs.
- Coordinating Happy hours, Special buffet, Luncheons, Brunches, Dinners, Outdoor catering , Special events and menu planning.
- Develop and implement business strategies for the department.
- Assist Operations manager in implementing policies and procedures mentioned/ set by the F & B committee.
- Work closely with the Executive Chef to develop weekly menus, planners and pricing.
- Maintaining and ordering liquor storeroom inventory.
October 2009 – December 2010 (1 year 3 months)
- Managing the organization's premier signature Indian specialty restaurant, “Made in India”.
- Formulating seasonal menus with the outlet chef.
- Assisting the F&B manager in planning and implementing promotional events for the outlet.
- Responsible for wage and cost-control measures keeping in line with monthly/quarterly budgets.
- Man-power management, including rosters, inductions and training modules.
Assistant Food and Beverage Manager
November 2007 – June 2009 (1 year 8 months)
Overall operational responsibility for the entire F&B department including the 1 AA rosette restaurant, bar and banqueting operations, in accordance with company standards of excellence.
- Effective cost-control of wages and stock whilst maximizing the profitability of the business.
- Identifying and implementing training needs for supervisory staff as well as overseeing those carried out for front-line colleagues.
- Solely responsible for the department's recruitment needs, inductions, performance reviews and regular team meetings.
- Man-management activities such as Pdp’s, preparation of training manuals, updating Sop’s and assessing supervisory needs for performance optimisation.
- Revenue forecasts and monitoring keeping in line with the budget.
- Ensuring compliance with all Health and Safety legislation in the department.
- Duty Management on a regular basis.
Assistant Restaurant Manager
The Pedersen Hotels
May 2006 – November 2007 (1 year 7 months)
- Ensuring all departmental activities result in guest expectations being met and exceeded as befitting a fine dining 1 AA Rosette restaurant serving modern European cuisine with special emphasis on Mediterranean fare.
- Monitoring to ensure all brand standards are in place consistently and taking remedial action where required to rectify shortfalls.
· Optimising departmental profit through control of costs and maximising all revenue opportunities, such as familiarising myself with particular local events to be capitalised upon for business.
- Ensuring sufficient stock of all items required within the department, taking action to address any shortfalls in advance of the items being required.
- Building a loyal client base not just from hotel hotel guests but also from passing trade, resulting in special mentions in the local newspapers.
- All people management activities within the department to support the Restaurant Manager. This includes rosters, appraisals, training, recruitment, dealing with discipline issues etc.
- Ensuring full compliance with all health, safety and hygiene legislation and carrying out Duty Management shifts, ensuring the smooth running of the hotel.
Food and Beverage Supervisor
September 2004 – April 2006 (1 year 8 months)
- Assuming responsibility for the overall day-to-day functioning of the restaurant.
- Planning the duty roster. Inter and intra-departmental communication such as issuing of memorandums, holding departmental meetings, etc.
- Organising and coordinating with external agencies for the work hours of casual and part- time staff.
- Departmental representative for staff exchange meetings.
- Conducting induction and orientation for new front line colleagues.
- Overseeing the coffee shop as and when required.
"Commis de Salle"
September 2002 – September 2004 (2 years 1 month)Nice Area, France
Wine & Spirit Education Trust
WSET Level 3(Wines and Spirit Education), WSET Level 3 Advanced Certification
2015 – 2015
United States Department of State
Certificate in Food Safety Training Course
Proper food handling, disease control,food protection principles,sanitary practices etc.
Master's Degree, Hotel, Motel, and Restaurant Management
2002 – 2004
Université de Perpignan Via Domitia
Master's Degree, Tourism Studies
2002 – 2003
Institute of Hotel Management
Bachelors, Hotel and Catering Management
1999 – 2002
SPA Training Ltd, U.K
Certificate Of Achievement - First Aid at Work Course issued under Health and Safety Regulations, UK
2008 – 2008
Certificate of Achievement - Practical Skills Training
Wine & Spirit Education Trust
WSET Level 2, WSET Level 2
2014 – 2014
Food and Beverage Trends, Training, Wines & Oenology, Spirits etc.