miércoles, 21 de diciembre de 2016
DECANTER "PREMIUM RED RIOJA WINES" URBINA GRAN RESERVA
We have received the results of the Decanter "Premium Red Rioja" contest - wines over £20 / bottle
- Urbina Gran Reserva 1996 (92 points Highly Recommended)
Wine shops and Independent Wine Merchants in the UK: Duncan Murray, Les Caves de Pyrene, Fareham Wine Cellars, Guildford Wine, Portland Wine, Raffles, Yorkshire Wines, Steevensons.
- Urbina Gran Reserva Especial 1994 (92 points Highly Recommended)
Wine shops and Independent Wine Merchants in the UK: Les Caves de Pyrene, Spirited Wines, Bistrovin, RS Wines, Touchstone Wines, Palmers, Oxford & Cambridge Club, Good Wine Co.
You can subscribe to the magazine: www.decanter.com/subscribe
BODEGAS URBINA IN THE RIOJA ALTA REGION (SPAIN)
- Family Winery: Bodegas Urbina is a family winery with four generations since 1870 dedicated to grape growing and winemaking. The present winery designed, built and run by the family Urbina since 1986 has been created solely to facilitate the mission of the winemaker at the time of producing fine wines. The winemaking for commercialization dates from 1870 and performed in ancient underground Cuzcurrita drafts.
- Own Vineyards: Bodegas Urbina has 60 hectares of native varieties of Rioja, whose sole purpose is the quality of their wines. The wines are a combination of grapes from Cuzcurrita, the westernmost part of the DOC Rioja; It produces wines with great aging potential, fit for the Gran Reserva and Uruñuela vineyards located in the heart of the appellation produce wines of great consistency and body, very nice.
- Limited Production: Bodegas Urbina has the capacity to produce 200.000 bottles of red Crianza, Reserva and Gran Reserva and 50.000 bottles of White and Rose grapes from their own vineyards, which are grown under traditional practices, not using herbicides and limiting use of pesticides and fungicides. The cultivation is done in low-trained (vignes basses) and trellis, and does not force the production, not exceeding the 6,500 Kgrs. / Ha. Within the production capacity, wines are selected in order to be labeled as URBINA.
DECANTER WINE MAGAZINE
Decanter is a wine and wine-lifestyle magazine, published in about 90 countries on a monthly basis. The magazine includes industry news, vintage guides and wine and spirits recommendations. Decanter also organizes the annual Decanter World Wine Awards.
- History and profile: Following the success of wine columns in British newspapers, the magazine was founded in London in 1975. It is the oldest consumer wine publication in the United Kingdom. According to author Evelyne Resnick, it has a comparable function for UK than the Wine Spectator has in the United States. As of 2011, it was published in 91 countries, including China as its last addition in 2005. Columnists and regular contributors include several Masters of Wine.
The magazine mainly focuses on wines available in the United Kingdom's market. While it is aimed to consumers, a significant part of its audience also consists both of traders and producers. Its contents include news, topical dissertations, travel surveys, interviews, analysis and market reports. Differently from other magazines which focus on many wines from various regions and countries, Decanter issues offer in-depht reviews of wines from two regions at times. Decanter's readers are generally way younger than the readers similar publications, with 41 % readers under 45 years old.
The magazine launched its website, Decanter.com, in 1999. The website is considered as a leading online wine magazine. Among its services, it offers a wine investment guide in conjuction with Berry Bros. & Rudd.
- Decanter World Wine Awards: Decanter World Wine Awards (DWWA) is a wine competition founded in 2004 and is the world's biggest wine competition with over 15,000 entries per year. The results of the competition are published on Decanter's website and in Decanter's August edition.